"Many" does not create dispersion, but balance

I do not know what caused it, but today I finally realized this: it does me good to have many pursuits. However, there were many periods of my life where I focused on just one thing. I did focus only on math as an undergraduate. I even dropped out from basketball. I wanted to devote myself body and soul to maths so that I could become the best I could be. I ended up burned out and "fleeing" to France for an Erasmus because I was very unhappy. Something similar happened later when I was hyper-focused on my research career. And I burned out a second time.

Now I have many pursuits and interests: research, writing, coaching, doing videos, ukulele, a husband. And I give importance to all of them - I try not to be defined by just one of them. Having so many pursuits - even though it is sometimes overwhelming -  feels good. It gives me well-being; balance - it keeps me away from obsession.

This reminded me of some things that author Matthew Dicks wrote in his book "Someday is today": 

Simply put, creativity flourishes, productivity increases, and opportunities expand when the mind is permitted to wander, the maker of things is free to tinker, and the creative spirit is allowed to dip its toes into many waters. Single-mindedness is not a useful trait for most creative people, yet it’s quite often the perception that people have when they embark on their creative journey. They focus on a single project, just like they were probably taught in high school and college, instead of allowing their disparate, divergent, incongruous interests to seize control of them. -- Someday is today, by Matthew Dicks. Chapter 9: Be a Chicken, Not a Pig > Page 148

and also

Stuff begets stuff. Not the loveliest sentence I’ve ever written, but true nonetheless. I am a better writer because I tell stories onstage. I am a better marketing consultant because I do stand-up. I am a better playwright because I write comics. I am a better storyteller because I officiate weddings. I am a better elementary-school teacher because I am a parent. I am a better public speaker because I am a wedding DJ. I am a better leadership coach because I am an investor. -- Someday is today, by Matthew Dicks.Chapter 9: Be a Chicken, Not a Pig > Page 150


It is true that having a variety of activities creates a variety of skills that support each other. But there is more than just expanding on skills: this variety keeps me energetic, motivated, fresh, and inspired. I do not need to take a break; I just need to change activities.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coaching (4): my experience of starting university

Impostor syndrome

It is not that I am good at it: I just know how to learn