Why I write... a blog

“Writing apparently filled a void I was feeling in my heart, just before I turned thirty.” – Haruki Murakami


Writing comes naturally to me: it suits me. At some point, I stop writing and I could feel that something was missing.

Why did I stop?

Well, I felt that it was useless to write if I was not going to get a final product, and then, if I had to get a final product, then it would have to be good. The issue is that in my mind "good" and "perfect" are oftentimes indistinguishable. This attitude stopped me from writing for a long time.

Then I decided to write again, just for the sake of writing, to take things out of my head; to reflect; to uncover what my mind and heart were up to. And then, I thought, why not post it online? The writing would not be perfect, but I can share my experiences and thoughts, and that may seem curious or even useful to others. Or simply no one will read this. But at least I have some little final product. A final product whose imperfection I am willing to embrace.

Just today I watched a part of a video by the novelist Brandon Sanderson where, talking about writing, he says: "it doesn't have to be fun, but it should be satisfying".

It is satisfying. Sharing my thoughts, my experiences, and my journey is satisfying.



By the way, Sanderson's courses on YouTube about writing fiction are great!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coaching (4): my experience of starting university

Impostor syndrome

It is not that I am good at it: I just know how to learn