A little stress - a little unfocused

In the middle of the night, I woke up: "I have not written a blog entry!" Well, God knows what time it was, so I was not going to get up and write. In any case, the day had already passed.

I do not have a particular time to write. It typically happens at the end of the day, because it is when all the rest has been done. But yesterday it was special, "the rest" was taking forever: construction works were starting at home and I had to get things ready. And it took a while. Everything takes time. But it was not the time, because I could have just written a line or posted a photo and I would have kept the streak of posting every day. 

So, no, the problem was not the lack of time, but the little stress that comes with having house renovations. Not that I am particularly nervous, but of course, there is some tension. My house, my refuge, my corner is a total mess. Strangers are coming in and putting down walls. I cannot cook (well, even with a kitchen I cannot cook, so I guess not much is lost there), I cannot rest on the sofa, I cannot do anything there. But it is just temporal, it is going well, I am trusting the people doing the job. So it is really minimal stress, and, yet, it has thrown me off balance. It has made me forget about blogging.

And this happens so often in research. I feel that I have to be emotionally balanced for things to work well. A little bit of stress, and things get blocked in the brain. A lot of stress, and things get blocked completely. You dumb yourself down.

And now, I am tired, still a bit stressed, not knowing what I will find when I get home. But I sat down to write, and it feels good.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coaching (4): my experience of starting university

It is not that I am good at it: I just know how to learn

Impostor syndrome