We are making it hard for them, and why do we need a bridge course?

When I went to university to study mathematics, the knowledge gap between high-school and university seemed insurmountable. I studied at the Universitat Politecnica of Catalunya (Barcelona) and there were only 50 spots for new students. So, the people that went there were really motivated to study maths. All of them were top of their class in maths, and probably also got top marks in math on the selection exams that we had to take to access university. So, we were supposed to be the best at maths. Yet, in our first exam, only three out of fifty passed.

I was devastated. Why the hell had I worked so hard through my previous education? (yes, I was one of those that worked hard) Why couldn't have been taught an adequate level of maths? The standards of pre-university education had been dropping while the university was keeping its standards.

That was around 20 years ago. It seems that things have gotten worse.

I did not have a "transition" course to fill up the gap - but my gap was not as big as the current one, where students seem to have trouble with fractions, trigonometric functions, and polynomials. 

Can we fix this lack of primary math education in just one semester at university in a bridge course? 

Students will struggle, that is for sure. They will struggle, not enjoy it so much and many just drop out, because they will feel they cannot do it: they are not "smart enough". 

I wish the tendency changed. I wish that rather than expecting less and less from the young generation, we would expect more and more. We have to help them grow and achieve well-being, not to become comfortable and lethargic. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coaching (4): my experience of starting university

Impostor syndrome

It is not that I am good at it: I just know how to learn